Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform participates in Immigration Town Hall at Laguardia Community College

Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform supporter Bernadette Gibbons testified yesterday in support of comprehensive immigration reforrm legislation that would provide an EARNED path to legal status for the 50,000 undocumented Irish living and working in the United States. Ms. Gibbons spoke at an Immigration Town Hall meeting held at Laguardia Community College.

Congressmen Joe Crowley of New York and Luis Guttierez of Illinois (pictured above) came to hear what New Yorkers had to say about the need for compprehensive immigration reform.

Over two dozen Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform supporters proudly wore LEGALIZE THE IRISH tee shirts to the Town Hall event to represent the Irish-American community. Great job, folks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job Bernadette, and all the other volunteers who took time out of their schedules to attend this meeting.

Peter Nassey

Anonymous said...

Illegal Irish or whoever should be, must be deported now!! Go home and get out of my country!! If you came here without permission then you have no respect for our laws- I am part Irish.

Anonymous said...

As to the part of you that is Irish, I am sure your ancestors are very proud that you echo the sentiment of the Native Party or No Nothings of the 1800's, when they said the exact same thing.
It is arrogance and selfishness like yours that has destroyed the great image of America in the world.
Thankfully some Irish still want to come here and continued the long-standing traditions of our forefathers.
As an Irish American I am proud of my Irish roots and I will do everything I can to help the undocumented Irish in this country get an opportunity to gain a path to earned citizenship. I understand that the 1965 Immigration Act unintentionally closed the door to the Irish, and with the passage of a comprehensive immigration bill this year, that wrong will be righted.

I know my Irish ancestors would be proud that I have not forgotten where I come from.

Peter Nassey.